January Food Adventures Part 1: Yakiniku at YakiMix

Yes, I admit I'm a foodie. I may not look like it, but I love to eat. Food, for me, is an adventure that needs to be experienced. So it's only fitting for me to spend the first month of the year trying out the different flavors offered around the metro.

To get this food adventure started, we headed off to YakiMix.

I have heard rave reviews about this eat-all-you-can-smokeless-grill chain of restaurants (they're all over the metro), so when my boyfriend took me to Yakimix in SM North last January 3, I was, in a word, ecstatic. Since we went there pretty early (we went in at 6:00 PM, their buffet dinner starts at 5:30 PM) and on a weekday, it wasn't difficult to get a table, but I heard you'd usually be on the wait list if you come in late or on weekends. I guess it would be a good idea to call them for a reservation.

Anyway, on to the food.

Yakimix offers Japanese, Cantonese, and Korean cuisine so they pretty much offer quite a variety in their buffet table. They have a long section for sushi behind the buffet table, and I couldn't help myself but pig out on gimbap, maki, temaki, and nigiri. Their cooked dishes mostly consist of tempura, beef with broccoli, a couple of chicken dishes, and steamed veggies. They also offer a wonderful variety of desserts from ice cream, to fruits, to mini cakes.

The highlight, for me however, is the yakiniku. There's all sorts of raw meat and seafood, the names of which I could neither pronounce nor recall at all.

The smokeless grill on the table (and I am thankful it's smokeless so at least I didn't smell like what I ate afterwards), where you grill all you can get from the buffet, is what makes Yakimix the exciting buffet restaurant that it is. The food, in itself, is not bad, but it's not that mouth-wateringly scrumptuous either. What I really enjoyed is the novelty of getting to grill your own food right at your own table. It's the fun of getting to choose all the shrimp, squid, fish, pork, beef, or chicken you want and being able to cook it on your own table, that makes a great time for bonding with your date, friends, family, or whoever you're with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment