In Vino Veritas

Last Sunday, our very dear friend who has been absent from our gatherings in the past couple of months finally decided to show up. He was terribly missed, of course, by his doting T'yang and Ninang, and so after several rounds in Megamall critiquing the window displays, we decided to drag him to my place for dinner.

I cooked penne ala puttanesca sans the anchovies and chili pepper but with ground beef instead while enjoying a bottle of burgundy that we just bought along with a bottle of moscato. The moment we purchased the two bottles, I knew it was going to be another night of pouring wine. It was proven true when we were not quite content with the burgundy and decided to go for the moscato after the dinner.

The moscato was a very good dessert wine. It was sweet and silky smooth, perfect companion to a cheesecake...

I just wished we had an actual dessert, but for people like us a good conversation with friends more than makes up for the lack of sweet treats. The conversation was so good, in fact, that we decided to go for a third bottle - a California red - and the merry-making went on until three in the morning. Our poor friend ended up not being able to go to work because of it, but I know he still loves us anyway.

***

In vino veritas.

Indeed under the influence of alcohol, most - if not all - of what we speak are words we mean, and thus, the truth as we believe. That simple paradigm got me thinking about the time my ex called me on my phone...

I could tell he was drunk. He called and all he had to say was I love you.

As usual, my defenses activated automatically and all I could reply was you're drunk, get some rest.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking that I'm applying that belief to that scenario. Maybe... Who knows?

I will not deny the possibility that I may still have deep feelings for him. Try as I may, I cannot explain why so I won't even bother with an explanation. Maybe the only thing to note in our situation is that I took a chance on him after almost 2 years of being unattached and that, before him, I was dating someone else for over 8 months but never committed.

I always said I was trying to be spontaneous when I committed to him and I know it definitely wasn't love at first sight. I also realize that the feelings I had for him weren't as strong as when we began as it was when we ended. He grew on me.

In vino veritas.

I should move on, I know. Friends are trying to tell me to. At this point, though, I don't even know whether or not I want to do just that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment