A Weekend of Wine and The Serbian Show

Umiral nanaman ang impulsiveness ko. I dropped by ministop before going home meaning to only buy a pack of cigarettes nang bigla akong napalingon sa kanilang booze section. As if by instinct, nakita ko agad ang gusting Makita ng aking mga mata: their wine selection.

Ewan ko ba. Basta bigla na lang akong kumuha ng isang bote ng sparkling red at dumeretso sa counter. So ayun, pagka uwi ko may bitbit na akong isang bote ng red wine. At least, I told myself, I’d have something to drink every night when I get home. Ayun nga lang, ilang oras pa lang ang lumilipas since inuwi ko ang boteng yun e malapit na siyang mangalahati. (I have a glass of chilled sparkling red sitting right beside my keyboard right now)

Nagsimula ang bagong kalokohan kong ‘to nang dahil sa isa kong kaibigan who was recently introduced to the wonders of drinking wine. Nang dahil sa kanya na rekindle ang aking taste buds for the sweet red liquid.

Last Saturday, I decided to go wine glass shopping since I left my wine glass collection in Baguio (mahirap nang mag transport ng glassware kaya bili na lang ako ng bago). After going through the cheap wine glasses in Ever and not finding a relatively okay glass, we decided to shop for some grocers first and along the way we picked up a bottle of Spanish sweet red and a Burgundy. Then we went back to the actual target: the wine glasses.

Medyo mahirap pumili ng wine glasses when you’re trying to get them for cheap. Tsaka mahirap pumili pag walang masyadong pagpipilian. Eventually, I ended up getting a pair of red and a pair of white wine glasses and my friend bought one red wine glass for himself (since he only had a glass for white which he was using for red).

***

Having accomplished our mission, we went back to my apartment since we were holding a friend’s birthday party. The cooks were supposed to arrive earlier than the guests, since they needed to prepare the food and stuff, but it was already around 7 in the evening and they still weren’t even on their way yet. So I and my friend decided to try the Spanish red while I cooked pasta with tuna in tomato sauce for the two of us. Hindi na namin binalak hintayin ang pagkaing iluluto nila para sa party dahil malamang kakalam mga sikmura namin sa gutom kahihintay.

It turned out to be a good move since they arrived some minutes past 8 in the evening. By then, we were already about to open the second bottle of wine: a Burgundy naman. So while the cooks were preparing food, the rest of us busied ourselves with wine and a lot of interesting conversation.

The rest of the night went on as expected. Isipin mo na lang na pinagsama-sama ang dalawampung bakla sa isang lugar habang nagiinom and you’ll get the picture. Pero take note. These are intellectual gay people at hindi mga baklang palingkera (I felt that that piece of information was required).

My highlight for that party, though, was when I and my dear friend, T’yang Nena Lucresia Zaragosa, engaged in a very consuming sort-of-debate about Lea Salonga’s singing style. I guess we were both so caught up in the conversation that we didn’t realize everyone else was already distracted by our voices and were already listening even if they didn’t understand what we were talking about. Like I told my friend, I haven’t had that kind of conversation in a very long time and it was so much fun!

These parties we hold are always a lot of fun. At dahil sa sobrang saya inuumaga kami lagi. Last Saturday wasn’t an exception.

The party lasted until breakfast with the last batch leaving barely 2 hours before noon. I was tired and beat from partying all night so, after the cleanup, I got to my usual Sunday habit: sleeping all day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment